Saturday, February 28, 2015

Author Interview: Rachel Carter on 'So Close to You' and Time Travel

So Close to You
by Rachel Carter
Realms Young Adult Fantasy Literary Magazine: Will you give us a brief background about who you are and where you’re from?

Rachel Carter: I grew up in Vermont, in a log cabin in the woods. My dad makes maple syrup every spring, and my first job was working on a ski mountain. I always knew I wanted to be a writer; I started my first novel in high school. It was very, very terrible––about a secret society of teenagers who live in the forest––and I only got through about twenty pages.

I studied English at UVM (the University of Vermont), and then I moved to New York to get my MFA in nonfiction creative writing at Columbia University. I really loved living in NYC, writing and learning and growing. That’s where I made the connections that would eventually help me publish my first book, So Close to You, in 2012. About two years ago, I decided to move back to Vermont. Now I’m living in the mountains again and working on a new young adult trilogy.

Realms: Your trilogy, So Close To You, is a young adult series involving time travel. What do you think is the defining feature that separates it from other time travel stories?

Rachel: I really do love all time travel stories. There’s something about the idea of a romance transcending space and time that just appeals to me. But I think what sets So Close to You apart is the government conspiracy aspect of it. Lydia, my main character, stumbles upon something called the Montauk Project––which is a real life conspiracy theory. People believe that Nikola Tesla faked his own death and created a time machine under the ground of Camp Hero in Montauk, New York. I think by basing it on something real (or realish!), it lends a sense of possibility to So Close to You that might not have been there otherwise.

Realms: What appealed to you about writing from the point of view of a YA character?

Rachel: I’ve always been fascinated by coming-of-age stories. Even when I was in grad school and writing nonfiction, all of my essays were about my teenage years. It’s not that the biggest events in my life happened in high school, but that’s when I felt the most strongly about everything that did happen. I love capturing that heightened sense of emotion, when every event––like getting asked to a dance, or having a fight with a friend––has such huge meaning for your characters.

Realms: Do you think adults have something to gain by reading YA stories?

Rachel: Yes. I wrote a long essay about this for the New Republic actually, but here’s the gist: YA is a complex, interesting genre with more layers and themes than it’s often given credit for. There’s something for everyone in YA, whether you happen to be a teen or an adult. And there should certainly be no shame in loving YA, regardless of your age.

Realms: What do you think your readers will connect to the most about Lydia, the main character in So Close To You?

Rachel: In the beginning, Lydia is very naïve and driven, almost to the point of being reckless. She doesn’t understand––or is unwilling to understand––the consequences of meddling with time. Her world has been a safe bubble for so long; when that safety is destroyed, it takes her a while to comprehend what that means. By the third book, Find Me Where the Water Ends, Lydia is almost a completely different person. She’s more cautious and more capable, but also closed off and angry. I always find myself connecting with characters who go through a huge transformation in a book or a series, and I hope readers feel the same about Lydia.

Realms: What is it about YA Fantasy that draws you?

Rachel: Before So Close to You, I never thought I would write a sci-fi or fantasy novel. I always assumed I would write realistic fiction––it seemed closer to my writing background and I do love telling complicated love stories. But then I heard about the Montauk Project, and I couldn’t pass up the chance to write a time travel story. There are so many choices when your world has a little more leeway––whether that’s magic or science fiction or mystical creatures. It opens up the plot, allows your characters to become special in a very unique way, and, honestly, it’s just really fun to write.

Realms: You also have an MFA in nonfiction writing. Do you find that your nonfiction writing skills crossover into your fiction writing?

Rachel: Sometimes! I wrote a lot about being a teen myself, so I think that has helped me empathize with the emotions and milestones my characters are facing. On a writing level, it can be both helpful and a little tricky––when I’m writing memoir or nonfiction, I have a tendency to over-explain my feelings. That’s something I had to train myself not to do in fiction, instead showing a character’s feelings through action, description, and dialogue. But certain things stay the same regardless of genre: at the end of the day, people just want to read a good story.
Rachel Carter


Realms: Can you tell us about what you are currently working on?

Rachel: I’m knee-deep in a fantasy novel right now, and I should have a first draft finished by the spring. I can’t say much about it, though I can tell you that it involves a lot of magical elements––something I’ve never written before!

Realms: Which author(s) influence you the most?

Rachel: There are so many! I love magical realism and lyrical writing, so I’ve always loved Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Michael Ondaatje, and Angela Carter. I read their writing to get into the headspace to write myself. In terms of YA writers––I love John Green for his realistically quirky, portrayal of modern teenagers, Carrie Ryan for her creepily lush prose, and Holly Black for her insane imagination.

Realms: What is your favorite YA fantasy story?

Rachel: Probably the Graceling Realm series by Kristin Cashore. So beautifully written and such a fully realized world. There’s a huge fantasy boom in YA right now, but her books came out years ago, when it wasn’t really the trend. Despite that, people just flocked to her series from the beginning. She does fantasy right: a strong heroine, a compelling romance, and villains who are more than they seem.

Realms: If there was the kind of magic in this world that is in storybooks, what would you want to be or be able to do?

Rachel: That’s a tough question––there are a lot of powers I would want (flying, teleportation, telekinesis) and a lot I wouldn’t want (reading minds, anything I couldn’t control). I think it would be cool to be a witch, but only if I never went over the dark side. Magic is very unpredictable––it might be the kind of thing that seems like a blessing but is actually a curse.


So Close To You is a novel about a girl, Lydia Bentley, who stumbles on the Montauk Project, which is surrounded by several conspiracies. Her grandfather believes it was the cause of his father's disappearance. As the two search for clues at Camp Hero, an abandoned military base, Lydia is transported back in time to 1944, a few days before her great-grandfather's disappearance....

You can buy So Close To You on Amazon, and/or check out what else Rachel Carter is up to on her website.



No comments:

Post a Comment